Don’t get caught eating one of these 4 things for breakfast:
- Breakfast pastry: muffins, doughnuts, bear claws and croissants sure taste good with coffee, but all those refined carbs are going to cause unwanted weight gain.
- Granola Bars: watch out for the breakfast bars that claim to give you fiber, vitamins and minerals. Check the number of carbs and sugars on the back of the label – most contain the same sugar as a pastry.
- Cereal: here’s another popular breakfast item that has tons of sugar lurking beneath its surface. Only eat cereal that has no added sugar and that contains some protein and healthy fat.
- Drive Thru Breakfast Sandwich: don’t even think about heading to the drive thru for a quick breakfast sandwich. Instead grab a hard boiled egg from home to enjoy on your commute.
Try this delicious Breakfast Protein Parfait…
Here’s a great recipe to make the night before for an easy grab-n-go breakfast straight out of the fridge. It’s packed with protein, vitamins and minerals for sustained energy all morning long. And it tastes great too.
Here’s what you need…
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt, plain, fat free
- ¼ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 scoop high quality strawberry or vanilla protein powder
- ¼ cup fresh berries
- 1 Tablespoon pecan pieces, toasted
- In a small bowl use a whisk to combine the yogurt, cottage cheese and protein powder. Mix until well incorporated.
- Place half of the yogurt mixture into a clear cup, top with the berries and then the remaining yogurt mixture. Top with pecans.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 260 calories, 6g fat, 307mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, and 38g protein.